General and Family Dentistry
We are an inner-city comprehensive dentist office in Calgary offering a modern enjoyable dental care experience for you and your family. Regardless of age, your downtown Calgary dentists can provide your dental care in a modern and comfortable environment.
The needs of all patients are different and often complex depending on many factors like age and health status. We make sure to customize our treatment accordingly. Your comfort and oral health are always our top priorities, and quality state-of-the-art dentistry is our passion. Our office is open evenings and weekends to better accommodate our patients’ hectic schedules.
East Village Dental offers a full range of general & cosmetic dental treatments at our office to help you achieve your perfect smile, such as teeth whitening, veneers, or implants. We utilize the latest in dental technology and techniques in order to offer you the best preventive care and treatment available in inner-city Calgary
Getting a simple dental procedure done should be a pleasant and efficient experience. At East Village Dental, we make it our goal to provide you with an unmatched dental experience, whether you’re getting a root canal or a simple filling.
Schedule your family’s appointments with East Village Dental today!
Safeguarding Your Oral Health
With proper care, your teeth can last a lifetime. We don’t want your smile to be something that you have to endure daily. We want it to make you proud and help you feel healthy. All of this starts with preventative maintenance and an approach to dentistry that is centered around your individual needs.
Come see our team for a general dentistry appointment and we will:
- Examine Your Teeth: Assess the current state of your oral health to get an understanding of the entire picture.
- Create a Plan: Using our analysis and after a consultation with you, we will design a treatment plan that gives you optimal results.
- Provide Treatment: We’ll help prevent and treat dental issues using the latest advancements in technology and applying dedicated attention to the areas that need care.
Stress-Free Family Dentistry
East Village Dental offers top-rated family dentistry services in Calgary, supported by the belief that all patients deserve the highest standard of dental care.
Always found your visits to the dentist stressful? Say no more!
- Individual Care: We go above and beyond to personalize dental care procedures to meet all your needs, guaranteeing maximum satisfaction.
- Comfortable Environment: We strive to provide an inviting, comfortable space where you and your family can relax and feel welcome.
- Children’s Dentistry: Children do best when exposed to dental visits at an early age and continue to attend their regularly scheduled cleanings and routine exams. This helps limit dental anxiety in our youngest patients, so they can keep their healthy smile as they grow!
- We Keep Your Smile Healthy: Our goal is to help you and your family keep smiling with a bright set of teeth and enjoy optimal dental health for years to come!
Our Family Dentistry Services in Calgary
Looking for an experienced and reliable family dentist?
We’ve got you covered with professional dental services in Calgary! From routine dental checkups to complex procedures, we’ll make sure you and your family members are treated with the utmost care, respect, and excellence.
Here’s a sneak peek into the dental care services we offer:
- Root canals.
- Wisdom teeth.
- Teeth cleaning.
- Dental implants.
- Teeth whitening kits.
- Sedation dentistry.
- Cosmetic dentistry.
- Children’s dentistry.
- Dental emergencies.
- Invisalign and orthodontics.
Thousands of Calgarians trust us with their family’s dental health and beautiful smiles!
Our Friendly Dental Clinic Offers Many Excellent General Dentistry Services
We provide a multitude of general dentistry procedures such as:
- Complimentary consultations for major services.
Regardless of what it is that you need, we will design a customized treatment plan for you so that you can have long-lasting, beautiful teeth. We’re excited to show you what we can do for your smile!
Dental Fillings and Cavity Care
Tooth decay is one of the most common dental diseases. One reason why brushing and flossing regularly is so important is because when bacteria and plaque are present along with traces of food, they produce acids that demineralize the tooth and consequently weaken it.
Once the tooth is weakened enough, the bacteria can break through, causing a hole in the tooth or a cavity. When a cavity appears, the tooth needs a filling because the tooth cannot repair itself, the site cannot be cleaned, and the bacteria will only continue to make the cavity larger if not treated.
In the past, gold and amalgam fillings were very popular. Amalgam (commonly referred to as a mercury metal filling) was popular in dentistry up until the popular use of composite fillings. Amalgam filling requires more tooth removal to help hold it in place, leading to a higher risk of fracture. Also, some believe that the mercury from inside the filling will “leach” into the body.
Both of these materials were good options for fillings but have been replaced by more modern technology. Today we use materials like composite resin—a type of durable plastic—and porcelain to restore teeth with decay.
These modern materials can also be matched fairly accurately to mimic the color of your natural teeth. At East Village Dental, our dentists and their team will assess and discuss with you to make the correct choice for filling material and may include:
- Biting force.
- Previous history of tooth decay.
- Amount of tooth structure remaining.
The durability and longevity of the filling are largely based on the type of material used, biting force and habits of the patient, level of oral hygiene, and our dentists have the knowledge and expertise to accurately choose which solution would be best for you, our patient. The best way to increase the lifespan of the filling is to properly bond the filling to the tooth. The dentist always uses isolation to prevent moisture from interrupting the bonding process. The two most common forms of isolation used in the office is rubber dam and isodry.
Rubber dam is a rubber sheet placed on top of your teeth that isolates the working space for the restoration. It is the fastest, simplest device to achieve isolation. It is by far the most commonly used isolation device in the dental field.
The IsoDry system is a modern device with a built-in suction and bite block, allowing for excellent patient comfort and isolation. The system is commonly used in places the rubber dam won’t work or for patients who do not want to use the rubber dam.
Direct Dental Filling Process
- Doctor numbs/freezes the patient
- Isolation device placed in the mouth
- Our dentist will open up the cavitated site.
- They will remove all bacteria and infected tissue.
- Next comes placing the filling material during the same appointment.
The material most commonly used in our fillings is a composite resin (white filling) and is often cured with a special light to give it strength.
If you require a tooth extraction, our dental team will explain why they have suggested this treatment and make sure you understand. At East Village Dental, we want you to ask the questions and feel comfortable with all treatment options. We also provide treatment options to replace the missing tooth, so you don’t need to worry about that.
Some of the most common reasons that a tooth would be extracted:
- Periodontal disease.
- Retained baby teeth.
- Significant tooth decay.
- Orthodontic requirements.
The treatment must be planned carefully before the extraction is done because once the tooth is extracted, the adjacent teeth will begin to shift and may alter the patient’s bite. Also, the best time to plan for a dental implant is before the tooth is extracted.
Tooth extraction itself is a relatively straightforward procedure, but in more complicated circumstances, East Village Dental will ensure your comfort and will take great care of you!
Often the best tooth extraction is the one you can avoid, and regular dental visits will greatly reduce the likelihood of ever needing a tooth extraction.
Our dentists use various tools that rotate and elevate the tooth out of the socket and gently pull it free from your mouth. Our dentist sometimes needs to section the tooth to make it easier to remove in pieces—which is common in many extractions. Regardless of how our team chooses to remove the tooth, East Village Dental prioritizes your comfort and health throughout the entire process.
It is important to discuss any questions or concerns with our dentist before the day of the procedure. We do offer nitrous and IV sedation for our patient’s comfort. We also communicate to our patients the proper at-home care after having the extraction. You then are also provided a list of post-operative instructions, and a follow-up phone call the next day to see how you are doing.
Oral Cancer Screenings
When you come in for your dental examinations, East Village Dental always routinely checks for signs of oral cancer. It’s essential to do this because 5% of all cancers occur in the head or neck. This is why we suggest scheduling your regular cleanings and exams to screen for any signs of these cancers and ensure that you stay healthy. We are committed to doing cancer checks every time the patient comes to the office. The way to treat cancer is to catch it as early as possible
Invisalign® Invisible Braces
It doesn’t have to take forever to achieve straight teeth. Invisalign treatment is one of the most popular options in orthodontics because:
- They are convenient.
- You’ll get the same beautiful results as metal braces.
- Friends can’t tell you’re getting orthodontic work done.
- You can remove the aligners every time you eat and brush your teeth.
Invisalign aligners are created after a thorough examination and digital scan of your mouth. You will receive a series of aligners that are designed to align your teeth. Once you are finished with that set, you will receive the next one and continue wearing each series of aligners until you have perfectly straight teeth and an aligned bite.
Get Free Teeth Whitening for Life—Find Out How!
At East Village Dental, we feel that whitening is a service all of our patients should benefit from. That is why we created the free Whitening for Life program. Joining is easy! After our new patient exam, cleaning, and any major cavities have been treated, each patient gets a take-home whitening light system with whitening trays. After every visit, we will give a new set of whitening gels. This whitening system has a medium acidity which will minimize any sensitivity but will improve the shade of your teeth.
Dentures can be an excellent way to restore the smile of an individual who has lost most or all their teeth. Dentures restore aesthetics and contribute significantly to comfort, facial support, and functions like speaking and eating. While dentures are not completed at our office, we work closely with many denturists in Calgary. Dr. Broyde focuses on implant-supported dentures and fixed arch implant solutions and works very closely with some of the best denturists in Calgary. If you are interested in dentures, come to East village dental for a consultation on whether your dentures could be greatly improved by dental implants!
Partial Dentures need to be maintained just like natural teeth. Your team at East Village Dental would still see you for a regular 6-month exam. This is still recommended for all denture wearers. Since the teeth that hold up the partial denture are critical for the success of the prosthetic, regular preventative maintenance is required. Tissue irritation and fungal infections are common to denture wearers that do not follow consistent hygiene practices at home or come into the dental office regularly.
If you have any major issues with your dentures, we may have to refer you back to the denturist for repairs.
Caring for Your Dentures
- It is important to clean your dentures at home with hand soap and not toothpaste. Some toothpaste can be too aggressive when cleaning dentures and create excessive wear.
- If you are not wearing your dentures, it is best to keep them in water or a denture solution to keep them moist and prevent distortion.
- Even if you wear complete dentures, you should use a soft-bristled toothbrush to brush your gums and tongue.
- Use a soft denture brush once a day to remove any tartar or plaque build-up on the denture itself.
- If you have any major problems with your dentures, we will refer you back to the denture specialist who fabricated your dentures.
Tooth-White Cosmetic Dental Fillings
Gone are the days of silver fillings that people can see. If you have a cavity, we offer white/tooth-colored fillings that are natural-looking and blend in nicely with the rest of your teeth. Nobody will be able to tell that you even had a filling!
Porcelain Veneers are still the most common way to treat the patient’s esthetic concerns. However, not everyone can afford the treatment. If you are interested in improving the esthetics of your teeth but want a medium-term solution consider composite esthetic veneers. It is the same composite material that we place in your back teeth but with interesting compounds, shades, and techniques to better mimic the look of teeth. They are weaker than porcelain so constant maintenance will be important, but this is an effective technique in improving the aesthetics of your teeth.
Periodontal Gum Disease Treatment
Gums form a seal around your teeth and keep out bacteria. That’s why they deserve as much care as your teeth. If you do not take good care of your gums, you could end up suffering from gum disease and losing your teeth. The bacteria found in tartar and plaque cause gum disease; however, you can prevent the diseases by taking good care of your gums.
A bi-annual appointment is necessary to prevent the buildup of plaque and tartar on your teeth. Your appointment will include:
- Removing any buildup that has developed since your last appointment.
- A tooth-polishing with a special brush performed by a professional dental assistant or dental hygienist.
- X-rays and an exam by one of our dentists to make sure you don’t have any cavities.
Our staff is here to answer any questions that you have during your visit. Education is critical. With the right knowledge, you can take care of your teeth at home with proper brushing and flossing. We will teach you how to provide a high level of care and address any other concerns that you have.
Gingivitis and Periodontitis
When regular gum maintenance does not occur, the long-term risk is the emergence of Gingivitis and later periodontitis. Gingivitis occurs when plaque builds up on the teeth, and it can cause inflammation and irritation of the gums. This may lead to redness, swelling, or tenderness of the gums. If left untreated, gingivitis can progress to periodontitis. Periodontitis is the irreversible damage to the gums and bone around the teeth that will eventually lead to tooth loss.
The treatment for gingivitis and Periodontitis is simple. Have wonderful home care and visit your dental hygienist regularly
Signs that you might have gingivitis and periodontitis
- receding gums
- loosening teeth
- gum pain
- bad breath
- Cold sensitivity
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Swollen gums
- Personal Initiatives You Can Take for Healthy Gums and Teeth
There are multiple actions you can take on your own to have excellent oral health. There are ways to help keep your gums healthy:
- Brush Your Teeth Twice Daily: Make sure that you brush your teeth at least twice every day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Make sure that you clean your tongue too, as it can hold on to bacteria that will spread to your gums. Brush your teeth at a 45-degree angle using short, gentle strokes. Remember to replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Floss: Flossing is essential to gum health because it helps remove plaque and food particles beyond the reach of your toothbrush. According to the Canadian Dental Association, you can floss at any time, in the morning, after lunch, or at night before you go to bed. The important thing is that you floss and floss well. We can teach you the proper way to floss if you have questions.
- Use Fluoride Toothpaste: The shelves at your local store are filled with different toothpaste brands that promise to give you whiter teeth, fresher breath, and reduce gum inflammation. However, the only way to tell whether a toothpaste brand is suitable for your gums is by making sure that it is a fluoride toothpaste with the Canadian Dental Association seal of approval.
- Go for Regular Dental Checkups: The Canadian Dental Association advises visiting your dentist for a check-up at least twice a year. It will be easy for your dentist to spot the early signs of gum disease if you go to them as recommended. The only way to remove tartar build-up is by having teeth cleaning done by a dentist. A professional teeth cleaning will also remove the plaque you miss when brushing.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking has been associated with gum disease, so if you have been looking for reasons to quit, the risk of tooth loss is a good one. Smoking weakens your immune system, making it harder for your body to fight off the bacteria that cause gum disease. Apart from that, when you’re a smoker, it’s harder for your gums to go back to normal after they are damaged.
- Diabetes: Uncontrolled diabetes is commonly associated with worsening periodontal disease. Keeping your blood sugar in check will go a long way in improving your periodontal health.
Our Dental Team Is Committed To Keeping the Focus on YOU
At East Village Dental, we’re a team of dental professionals who’ll provide you with the dental care you need and educate you on proper dental care practices. Our friendly and professional team will give you a pleasant experience at our clinic. If you are looking for prime dental care in Calgary, we’ve got you covered.
We are a patient-centric practice. Everyone that comes into our office is unique, and we believe that an individual approach to dentistry is the right way to find solutions for every mouth.
When you come into our office, our team will examine your teeth and ask you questions to understand what you want from your visit. We will take this information and design a treatment plan together that will give you ideal results.
What Sets Us Apart
At East Village Dental, we’re a modern inner-city dental clinic that provides high-quality dental care to all our Calgary patients. We employ a preventative approach to dental care and believe that healthy smiles are a result of dentists and patients working together.
We’re always willing to go the extra mile to make you and your family comfortable with our complimentary amenities and benefits:
- Netflix in every room with noise-canceling headphones.
- A refreshment station featuring a selection of premium coffees.
- Over 100 toys to choose from for our little patients.
- Soft blankets.
- Nitrous and IV sedation.
- Free parking.
Your convenience, ease, and comfort are our topmost priorities—we never compromise on these!
Find a New Kind of Dental Care
At East Village Dental, our wonderful dentists with their team will show you what it takes to achieve healthy, attractive smiles for you and your family.
Regardless of age, your downtown Calgary dentists can provide exceptional dental care for you and your family in an ultra-modern environment that exudes comfort and peace. They’ll help to alleviate your dental phobia, going out of their way to make you and your family comfortable throughout the dental sessions.
From the moment you walk into our office, you’ll feel welcomed, secure, and at peace that your and your family’s dental health is in the right hands!
Get Started on Great Dental Health Today
Your dream smile doesn’t have to take forever to achieve. It can be yours sooner than you think. The first step is to give our office a call to schedule your free consultation. Call us to request your free consultation at East Village Dental today!