Root Canal Therapy Calgary
What Is a Root Canal?
You’ve probably heard of a root canal before. Maybe you’re thinking of a certain procedure that sparks a lot of dread in people. That’s not what a root canal is at all.
The root canal is a part of your tooth. It consists of soft pulp with a collection of nerves and blood vessels and descends through the root of your tooth. The area is prone to infection if the outer enamel shell of your tooth has a crack, break, or cavity.
When an infection occurs, it can be quite painful and cause a toothache. We can get rid of the pain by getting rid of the infection. To do this, we will perform a root canal treatment to clean out the root of the tooth.
This procedure is not painful. In fact, it almost immediately relieves the pain of a toothache.
Root Canal Therapy in Calgary
Our gentle approach and advanced methods allow your root canal treatment to go off without a hitch. East Village Dental’s goal is to help you save your teeth and prevent an infection from spreading even further. We approach root canal treatments as a final preventative measure, and we only use them after we have exhausted all other options to prevent infections. We are one of the few offices in Calgary to offer root canal therapy under IV sedation
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
If you have a toothache, it likely means there’s an infection inside your tooth that needs to be removed. The process of root canal therapy removes infected pulp from inside your tooth’s root canal.
The pulp is not necessary after the tooth is mature, so the procedure causes no harm. The pain of a toothache is minimized by a root canal treatment. The procedure allows us to save your tooth before the infection spreads. If the infection were to spread for long enough, it’s possible that you could then need a tooth extraction. At East Village Dental, we want you to be able to maintain a complete smile. Root canal therapy saves your tooth.
What Can You Expect From a Root Canal Treatment?
The root canal procedure cures cavity-ridden teeth and removes decaying pulp. We make sure that our patient doesn’t suffer because of a root canal. After an hour in our office, you’ll leave feeling much better and relieved that you no longer have to deal with an infection.
After an initial consultation, we’ll book an appointment for the root canal.
- Anesthesia: The procedure begins with a local anesthetic or sedation. The effects of which will last for a couple of hours, so you’ll be comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Removal of Infected Pulp: Then we get rid of the bacteria/infection and dead pulp that’s accumulated inside your tooth. We will thoroughly scrub away the infected area. Once that’s done, we start cleaning the area with an anti-bacterial solution.
- Sealing and Restoration: Our next move is to seal the exposed area with special instruments. There are times when we might even top it with a restoration if required. Root canal treatments usually require a crown to be placed to protect the tooth.
Experiencing Symptoms of a Toothache or Tooth Infection?
You may require root canal therapy at East Village Dental if:
- Your tooth becomes inflamed or extra sensitive when you eat hot/cold food.
- Your tooth might be chipped or cracked in areas that expose the sensitive pulp.
- You suffer from severe toothache and have difficulty chewing your food.
- The area near your root canal has started to swell.
- An old filling falls out or becomes insufficient.
- Pain tends to last longer than 5 minutes
- Pain occurs spontaneously, especially at night
All of these scenarios can trigger pain and discomfort. The way to eliminate the pain is to get rid of the infection while keeping the basic structure of the tooth intact.
This is only possible via an endodontic treatment: root canal therapy. The other option is complete tooth extraction, but we at East Village Dental want to avoid this so that you can keep your teeth. A root canal makes it possible to remove your infection and enjoy your everyday life with improved oral health.
Root Canal Dentist in Calgary
Root canals are often wrongfully projected through TV and film as being painful and scary. However, this is far from the truth! Medical advancements make it possible for our patients to undergo root canal therapy without any pain.
Here’s what makes East Village Dental root canal treatments special:
- Technology: Our office uses advanced Waveone technology to scrub away and thoroughly clean the buildup that has occurred inside your tooth from the infection. We also use special tools to remove the tooth pulp safely and painlessly.
- Quick and Painless: Not only is the root canal procedure relatively painless, but it’s also incredibly quick. The entire procedure can be accomplished in just a little more than an hour. You’ll be in and out of our office and get to go home without a tooth infection.
- Comfortable: Our root canal dentists take every possible measure to make you feel comfortable during the therapy session. This means providing the necessary anesthesia as well as amenities like entertainment and a blanket.
We are happy to address any concerns or questions you may have before the treatment. We hope to provide you with peace of mind about the treatment process.
If you need a root canal, you’re not alone. Root canal treatments are a common dental procedure in general dentistry. They are a reliable way to alleviate pain and prevent further tooth decay without having to remove your teeth.
Root Canal Therapy FAQ
Are Root Canals Painful?
When you think of a root canal, you might have the image of an unbearably painful procedure that should be avoided at all costs. We’re here to tell you that this isn’t true.
Contrary to what you might have heard, the procedure is relatively painless, Patients associate the pain with the procedure, but in reality, the procedure will stop the pain.
Root canals have come a long way with modern anesthetics and dental technology. They are relatively painless and aren’t typically more painful than a common filling, thanks to medication and the tools that we use.
How Long Do Root Canals Take?
Root canals are a fairly quick procedure. Root canals performed in the front of your mouth typically take only 40-60 minutes, and ones in the back of your mouth take between an hour to an hour and a half. You’ll be comfortably frozen/numb during the entire procedure, and it will be over before you know it! When we send you on your way, you will be infection-free!
How Much Does a Root Canal Cost?
The cost of root canal therapy varies depending on whether or not it is covered by your insurance. Even if your insurance doesn’t cover the root canal, it is much less expensive to have a root canal than to have your teeth extracted and have dental implants placed.
Can I Avoid a Root Canal?
Root canal therapy is not necessary until an infection has burrowed into the root canal of a tooth. Our dentists do what they can to prevent this from happening, but it really comes down to you and your dental hygiene routine:
- Thorough but gentle brushing twice a day.
- Floss around each tooth every day.
- Use a dentist-approved mouthwash.
- Visit East Village Dental every six months.
The best way to prevent a root canal is to visit the dentist regularly. It takes months/years for a cavity to grow into the nerve. We can almost prevent a root canal by treating the cavity when it first appears.
East Village Dental Root Canal Treatment
You can say goodbye to the pain and nerve damage that you feel daily. We have access to the latest technology in rotary endodontics (e.g., Waveone system). This helps us to provide a quick and easy root canal removal that is more efficient and gentle than other manual processes.
Our experience and expertise allow us to be confident in our work and give you a positive experience and dental care we can offer you. Our goal is to provide you with immediate relief while still preserving your existing tooth.
Don’t Delay—Call Us Today!
Do you require root canal therapy? We have years of experience curing tooth pain and we are here to help.
Call us to request your FREE consultation at East Village Dental today!
Hi! I’m Dr. Gregory Broyde
BSc, DDS, Owner at East Village Dental
And this web page has been reviewed and checked for accuracy by yours truly!