Oral Health: Tips to Look After Your Teeth at Home
Many have placed their dental hygiene on the back burner during the coronavirus pandemic. The lockdown has led people to spend more time at home. Regular dental checkups have been put on a halt, which means it is essential to take good care of your teeth while you are at home to avoid escalating potential problems.
Looking after dental health during the lockdown is crucial as your gum and teeth health can impact your overall wellness. Moreover, it will also help avoid dental emergencies when it is best to stay at home.
Here are some of the effective ways to take care of teeth at home:
- Be sure to take additional time in properly brushing your teeth, including your gumline. Doing this will ensure inflammation-causing bacteria is eliminated from the gums. COVID-19 creates a high inflammatory response in the body. It has been known that individuals with inflammatory conditions experience worse symptoms and that improved gum health helps individuals with inflammatory conditions. Therefore, cleaning your gums would improve not only your dental health but also your overall inflammatory health.
- Avoid brushing too hard. You must be gentle on your teeth and gums.
- Flossing also helps in reducing gum inflammation. Be sure to floss at least once daily.
- During these times, it is rather easy to reach for comfort food. However, try to limit your sugar intake as a high quantity of sugar intake can harm your teeth, making them sensitive, and increase inflammation.
- Reduce your acidic drinks intake as well. It might seem like a great idea to consume soft drinks, wine, or other acidic drinks every night while you binge-watch your favorite show. However, it can eventually dissolve the tooth enamel and increase your tooth sensitivity.
- Be sure to clean your toothbrush thoroughly. Viruses can easily get attached to soft bristles and plastic components of the brush. Be sure to clean it by soaking the brush in a mouthwash regularly. Rinse it with water, and you’ll have a clean toothbrush.
- Replace your toothbrush after two to three months. Change it immensely if you have been unwell.
- Try using fluoride toothpaste as it is most effective in eliminating germs.
- Always rinse your mouth with a high-quality mouthwash.
- Never try using your teeth as scissors or bottle openers as this increases the chance of your teeth breaking or chipping.
- The pandemic has increased the stress and anxiety of people all over the globe. One of the common symptoms of stress is teeth clenching. This results in muscle pain and also increases the risk of broken or chipped teeth. Try some stress management techniques and also perform some facial massage.
- Oral wellness includes a healthy diet and good hydration. Make sure you drink at least eight glasses of water every day. Avoid foods that include a high amount of sugar and starch. Limit your consumption of hard foods that may damage or chip your tooth.
The current pandemic has taught us the importance of taking good care of ourselves. It is the best way we can help the front-liners battling with COVID-19. East Village Dental cares about the overall health of our patients. We are here for you in emergencies, for phone and video consultations, but we urge people to stay at home and take care of themselves.
If you have any queries, concerns, or if you feel you need emergency treatment, feel free to get in touch with us today.